skye's Reviews > Big Sur

Big Sur by Jack Kerouac

U 50x66
Dec 27, 2010

Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** It had been a while since I read Kerouac, and I had been let down by "Dharma Bums" after "On the Road"... but after we biked through Big Sur (SF to LA) this summer, I thought I could get into this. I do love reading books about places I've been. (Or going to places from books: Desolation Peak, Crater Peak, Hozomeen: here I come!)

This book was a great addition to the Road/Dharma series, and I thought it had Road's zing that Dharma kind of lacked... It had absolutely great descriptions of the land & sea & weather.

And it is a profoundly incredible telling of psyche breakdown, utter crack snap... recovery. Chilling, but rare to really get inside the head of a breakdown. Ginsberg called it a description of delirium tremens (from alcohol), but the way it happens felt more like a straight-up existential breakdown.

On Big Sur, Kerouac came face to face with mortality. Face to face, it destroyed his happy Buddhist notions of peace & harmony & death-being-OK. (This is like how the painting of the dead Christ affected the characters in "The Idiot" by Dostoevsky...) Mortality wins. That's enough to shake the psyche off its rocker...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Sur.