Isamlq's Reviews > The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

Jul 29, 11

Read from July 28 to 29, 2011

Full disclosure, I might have blinders on where this author is concerned because every book of his that I've read, I've really enjoyed... (Nick and Norah, Dash and Lily, the Will Graysons even Naomi and Ely were all wonderful reads!) With Lover's Dictionary, I didn't know what I was getting into. But good golly, that was different... and refreshing!

It tackled what's familiar from all the possible angles. One need not strain one's imagination to see how a word applied, because it just DID. Each entry showed a different facet, a different stage of being in a relationship. Tina uses the phrase word play to describe it. And indeed it was as Levithan's reduces it to its essentials~ sometimes hitting it square on the end, other times oversimplifying matters, but mostly coming across as accurate and humorous.

Succintly putting each aspect/facet/stage of the experience into a word, one word. I thought Lover's Dictionary SMART, FUNNY at times, but definitely DIFFERENT. Is it gimmicky? Is it cutesy? Not at all! I've grown used to boy-girl headoverheels/ troublerunsdeep stories, this slim volume is none of those things *thank gosh!* It hit aspects of relationships head on. I really enjoyed it!

4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover's Dictionary.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly Sounds pretty interesting. I haven't read any Levithan books. Would this be a good one to start?

message 2: by Isamlq (last edited Aug 07, 2011 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isamlq Milly wrote: "Sounds pretty interesting. I haven't read any Levithan books. Would this be a good one to start?"

@Milly, I just saw this! For something easy and fun and sweet, I'd rec Dash and Lily. I read that earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I'd also suggest Will Grayson 2x (collab with John Green... and I love him too.) I have to check your shelves to see if youve read these already!

I think I've read most of DL's collabs (loved most of them,) but this is the first that's his alone that I've read.. it's different and smart. :)

message 3: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly Isamlq wrote: "Milly wrote: "Sounds pretty interesting. I haven't read any Levithan books. Would this be a good one to start?"

Yeah, read neither. I might try this one then first. Thanks Isa!

Thomas Another great review! I'm a romance fan so I'll definitely read this one in the future. I noticed that you rated the book 4/5 stars but actually gave it a three... possibly another mistake?

Isamlq Thomas wrote: "Another great review! I'm a romance fan so I'll definitely read this one in the future. I noticed that you rated the book 4/5 stars but actually gave it a three... possibly another mistake?"

lol! thanks :)