Chris's Reviews > The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder

Who or what was Spring Heeled Jack?

You don't know Spring Heeled Jack from Jack? Silly bugger. Spring Heeled Jack was a man (or was he?) that terrorized young women of London in the 1880s.

He was, well, a pervert.

He, supposedly, breathed fire and ripped the clothes off of women.

I can't remember if he came before the London Monster (who stabbed women in the buttucks) or after, but he is like that.

Mark Hodder takes the mystery of Spring Heeled Jack and combines it with an alternate universe, where the British empire doesn't turn out extactly like we think it should.

We met Sir Francis Burton in the midst of his debate about the source of Nile, and it is to Burton that it falls to solve the mystery of Spring Heeled Jack as well as the tiny problem of Werewolves taking young boys. Why extactly? Well no one knows.

The world is made real and Hodder seems to have done a good amount of research. If you are familiar with the people and events he is dealing with, you can figure some things out, but at no point does Hodder talk down to his readers. Can't wait to read part 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack.