Steven Buechler's Reviews > The Sentimentalists

The Sentimentalists by Johanna Skibsrud

Jan 03, 11

"I didn't ask Henry any questions on our trips, as I did sometimes in the evenings when he told me stoires, and he didn't ask me any either.
There were questions I would have liked to ask, though, and sometimes I'd wondered them aloud to my father or to Helen. Whey Henry had never married again, for example. And, of course, about Owen.
Once my father said, women think that they can make sad things go away by knowing the reason that they happened. This was in dismissal of a question that I asked him once about his experiences in the war. He told me that in my curiosity I was just like my mother, and in the tone that he said it I knew that at that mement it was the worst thing of all.
So I never mentioned the war to him again, until those many years later, when he told me himself." -from The Sentimentalists

An interesting take on the coming-of-age-while-dealing-with-an-unspeakable-tradegy novel. Some of the narrative was really disjointed at times which made it hard to follow, but it was still a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sentimentalists.