Kristi's Reviews > The Monk

The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis

Jan 20, 11

bookshelves: classic, paranormal, romance, suspense
Recommended to Kristi by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Group
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from January 17 to 19, 2011

So, I waited a whole day to post this review, partly because I was busy, but also because I hoped that in giving myself more time, I'd be able to do this book more justice. Unfortunately, I'm not an author and no matter who I struggle to come up with the words, none of them seem adequate enough to explain just how...phenomenal, fantastic, gripping, and entertaining I found this book, how blown away I was by it! It has romance, suspense, paranormal activities, religion, well, just about everything.

I can't even imagine what shock this book must have caused at the time it was written. I mean, it could very well be a contemporary fiction novel with its content, though its dialogue definitely distinguishing it as not being written in current times.

It didn't matter though, I devoured this book as fast as I possibly could. I was irritated that I had to work, that I had children who needed me, a husband who wished for my time, and a house that desired my attention. I didn't want to set it down, and I was irritably frustrated when I had to.

This book was so excellent, that I didn't want to pick up another book after I had finished. No, not as in never pick up another books (Please!), but I knew it was so good that it'd overshadow any others if I picked them up right away. Instead, because I was so impressed with my very first Kindle read, I decided to play with my Kindle and find more books to download.

I will say there were very minor areas that annoyed, but more because they took me longer to read the story. The dialogue was true to writers of Lewis' time era, as in it could be long-winded and round-about at times. But it was fairly easy to get through these parts quickly. The other minor annoyance was the verses/songs/poems (whatever they were). I am not a poem type of person, so I found these areas to be a touch annoying. However, again, they were easy to skip over so it was minor.

Overall, in case you haven't guessed it, I loved, loved, loved this book! If I haven't made it apparent in my review it is my fault and should not reflect on the book. It's just my lack of writing skills that have made it seem less than it is. I have no doubt this book will remain as one of my top 10 reads for the year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monk.

01/18/2011