mirela Darau's Reviews > The Diary of Anne Frank

The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank

Feb 26, 11

bookshelves: classics, biographies-autobiographies, nonfiction
Read from February 04 to 26, 2011

Beautiful style, beatiful story! I many times forgot it was written by a 14-yeaer old, on the other hand remembered many of my thoughts and inner life of that time. Indeed, a teenager lives deeper than adults normally imagine. I hope to keep that in mind for some time now...

Especially enjoyed the dynamics of the book and the intertwinements of inner emotions and thoughts, daily activities, war facts, description of the place, encounters and facts about the other people she came in contact with.

I liked her humour and very visual comparisons
Mrs. Van Daan was scarlet by this time, Mummy calm and cool as a cucumber. pg 39

I'm gradually getting to know all the women at a glance[..]. Their faces either look grim or kind - depending on their husnabds' dispositions. pg 61 - enjoyed her words of wisdom, and observation of the world.

Kitty, I'm just like someone in love who can only talk about her darling. And Peter is a darling. pg 142

And in the evening when I lie down and end my prayers with the words, "I thank you, God, for all that is good and dear and beautiful," I am filled with joy. Then I think about "the good" of going into hiding, of my health and with my whole being of the "dearness" of Peter [..] and of "the beauty" which exists in the world; the world, nature, beauty and all, all that is exquisite and fine. pg 145-146

I found it difficult to answer all Mummy's questons and think of some little excuse to tell Daddy as an explanation for my long sleep. I resorted to a "headache", which wasn't a lie, as I had one... but inside! pg 147

Is there anything more beautiful in the world than to sit before an open window and enjoy nature, to listen to the birds singing, feel the sun on your cheeks and have a darling boy in your arms? It is so soothing and peaceful to feel his arms around me, to know that he is close by and yet to remain silent, it can't be bad, for this tranquillity is good. Wednesday 19th April 1944

Quite honestly, I can't imagine how anyone can say: "I'm weak," and then remain so. After all, if you know it, why not fight against it, why not try to train your character? The answer was: "Because it's so much easier not to!" This reply rather discouraged me. Easy? Does that mean that a lazy deceitful life is an easy life? Oh no, that can't be true, people can so easily be tempted by slackness ... and by money. pg 211

As an overall, I loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Anne Frank.

Quotes mirela Liked

Anne Frank
“There's only one rule you need to remember: laugh at everything and foget everybody else! It sound egotistical, but it's actually the only cure for those suffering from self-pity.”
Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank

02/12/2011 page 66
29.0% "Loving it so far... love the writing style.
'There is nothing we can do but wait as calmly as we can till the misery comes to an end. Jews and Christians wait, he whole earth waits; and there are many who wait for death.'"
02/20/2011 page 127
57.0% "'Why should the fellow come and lie on my heart? He's not my lover after all! For that matter he wouldn't hear whether it's healthy or unhealthy inside me anyway...'"
02/22/2011 page 150
67.0% "And whoever is happy will make others happy too. He who has courage and faith will never perish in misery!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rosemary I love Anne's diary just as much as you do! Thanks for all the quotes. It was nice to read them again.

message 2: by Ted (new)

Ted Kozma Meyer Levin, a professional writer was hired by Otto Frank, Anne's father to edit and rewrite it. Levin even sued Frank in 1956 in New York for $50K, due to him (Meyer Levin Vs Otto Frank, File number 2241-1956 in the New York County Clerk’s office)

Gaya I am actually around the age that Anna Frank was when she wrote her diary and some thing she wrote reminds me of my life.

Karpagam Kannan I think it a genius writing style