Laura's Reviews > My Favourite Wife

My Favourite Wife by Tony Parsons

May 25, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in May, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book is far from my 'norms' when it comes to reading..I basically picked it up because it was cheap and sounded interesting. I'm also a sucker for books set in Asia :P

I'm glad I read it because I found it highly enjoyable overal and only a few things I could nit-pick. I've got a strong dislike for books when they change settings/characters and all they do is a double paragraph break! This book is guilty of it which annoyed me quite alot because I'd be reading along and then all of a sudden I see I'm suddenly back in London when a few sentances before I was in China. I did get used to it after a while but it still took some enjoyment out of reading.

The only other thing I could nit-pick was it goes for 30 chapters when it could of possibly ended about 5 chapters ago. There was a few times while reading that it felt like a really good place to end but then it kept going on. In places it seemed a little wishywashy and could of been left out..Hence cutting down the chapters but oh well.

I don't understand why Shane had to kill himself. It didn't really ADD anything to the story..It felt like fodder to me.

Overal this story is about a man having an affair and how he keeps his dirty little secret hidden from his wife until the beans are spilled.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Favourite Wife.

05/12/2011 page 60
16.0% "It's a bit different from the usual books I read but it seems pleasent so far :)"
05/13/2011 page 112
30.0% "When you can't sleep reading is a good idea which is what I did :) Book is getting interesting in someways."

message 1: by Tony (new)

Tony Sacre My favorite wife is the current Mrs Sacre!

message 2: by Tony (new)

Tony Sacre Mind you I did spend many a wonderful year in the arms of another mans wife... My Mum's!

Laura @Tony- Cute!! :D

@D.m- Yes, books that chop and change are setting themselves up for a WTF moment more than once and this does it countless times. I honestly don't know anything about the author, I only picked it up cause it was discounted (less than half price). If it's one like you say..That's a disappointment overal. I'm sorta interested in reading the book that made him "well known/loved" because this book doesn't make him anything special imo.