Ciri's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Dec 26, 2010

liked it
Read from December 30, 2010 to January 02, 2011

** spoiler alert ** So I really liked this book. It was really good but there's one thing that I really really hated about it - SHAY. Why? Some people might love him, think hes nice and loves Calla and all but to me he was a pushy, annoying hindrance that made me want to strangle the book whenever he popped up. TEAM REN!! *Cough* moving on..

The plot was good although kinda predictable,IMO. The story is built around the main character, Calla, a female Alpha Guardian. She had always known how her future would turn out - Marry Alpha male guardian Ren (he's awesome btw) and lead a new pack with him. Until SHAY arrives (here we go). Calla saves SHAY from a grizzly bear attack at the beginning of the book and when he joins her school she starts to get to know him better. (She feels this INTENSE attraction to him which I can't really comprehend). Calla begins to question everything she believes in and her destiny once she starts talking to him. This leads to them (Shay forcing her *Ahem*) to start investigating even though it is forbidden and could get Calla in SERIOUS TROUBLE. And yeah they unravel hidden truths and lies she and the other guardians have been led to believe.

From the very beginning of the book I just couldn't bring myself to like Shay. And as the book progressed I really began to hate him. And over the book he became and and more obsessed with Calla. He was also really pushy and just plain annoying and I hated his attitude (especially towards Ren).

I truly loved Ren as a character. Hes portrayed as a bit of a player and sexy and confident. I think he really loved Calla though. He gave her a pretty ring and when he did he wasn't so confident and even blushed ;D. I was really sad for him in chapter 33 when Calla was running away with Shay (>.<). I wish Calla had given Ren more of a chance instead of always being so mistrusting of him. There were also parts in the book where she treated him really unfairly.

The side characters were also interesting. I especially liked Calla's brother Ansel and thought his relationship with Calla's best friend Bryn was cute. And I like how the author brought a few gay characters into the story too.

Overall the plot was really good and it was a good read.I can't wait to see what happens in the next book, Wolfs bane. As long as it has Ren ;D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

12/30/2010 page 51
12/30/2010 page 113
25.0% "I love Ren"
12/30/2010 page 182
40.0% "I hate Shay with a burning passion right now."
12/31/2010 page 239
53.0% "I loooove Ren!! But I hate Shay so much stupid pushy twit." 4 comments
12/31/2010 page 269
60.0% "Stupid Shay. I haven't hated a book character this much since David!!" 11 comments
09/14/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Ciri I keep putting this down because I hate Shay so much.

Joanna lol I hate it even more that Calla chose him over Ren. but well, i guess she wants someone different from Ren. :|

Ciri Yerrr IKR. Chapter 33 made me sad D; for Ren!!

Bianca REN <3 !

Jess Why would you choose Shay over Ren? It makes no sense to me what so ever! I'm hoping to see more of Ren in Wolfsbane, surely he has to have his happy ending *cough* Calla coming to her senses *cough*. TEAM REN!!

Bianca Same here, Shay has had his turn. Now it's Ren's.!

(Closes eyes and prays really hard that Shay falls in a hole somewhere)

Jess Exactly! Its Ren's turn for the spot light! Oh the most horrible thought just occured, what if Shay and Calla return and Shay becomes alpha with Calla just because he's with her! NOOO it can't happen, Ren is alpha! Always REN, REN REN REN REN!!!!

Bianca I hope that doesn't happen. I had never thought of it. I hope we find out that Shay is a bad guy who has been brainwashing her into liking him and that she actually is in love with REN!!

message 9: by Chaleese (new)

Chaleese I LOVE Shay!!!

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Bianca wrote: "I hope that doesn't happen. I had never thought of it. I hope we find out that Shay is a bad guy who has been brainwashing her into liking him and that she actually is in love with REN!!"

That would be pretty cool lol.

message 11: by Ciri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ciri *GASSSP* Shay is being loved!!

Team REN!

message 12: by Jess (last edited Jan 20, 2011 12:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Britnee - Sleep defeater! wrote: "*GASSSP* Shay is being loved!!

Team REN!"

I know!

@Chaleese, you're probably 1 of 2 people out of a bajillion on here who is team Shay. Its okay, he needs someone.

TEAM REN!

message 13: by Ciri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ciri Yay Ren rules.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Wait, what? Someone likes Shay???? I was too busy watching the non-whiny guy (REN)!

I guess Jessica's right though. Poor Shay probably does need someone in his corner.

message 15: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Yeah I know. He needs someone to fight his corner, it won't be a very even fight with all the Ren lovers!

message 16: by Ciri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ciri He'll be knocked down 2 seconds flat!!

message 17: by Ciri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ciri Because he is pushy and annoying that's why. Didn't I already state why in my review..? Everyone has different opinions you know and if we don't like Shay then that's our choice.

Mariana Graça Team Ren <3 When Ren and Calla are together sparks fly and when Shay and Calla are together i feel nothing!

message 19: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em I found Shay pushy, too. And I hated how until the very end NOTHING seemed like a big deal to him. Risking Calla's life? No big deal. Turned into a wolf? Cool. WTF SHAY! If he wanted to go investigate, he could have just done it by himself without dragging her into it.