Ray's Reviews > Bloody Crimes CD: The Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse

Bloody Crimes CD by James L. Swanson

Jan 12, 11

Read in January, 2011

I had hoped the Chase for Jefferson Davis would have similarities to Swanson's earlier book "Manhunt" about the chase for John Wilkes Booth. But as the title implies, this is book includes two loosly connected subjects, one being the loooooooooong description of Lincoln's Funeral and death pageant, and the other a brief and not very dramatic description of the capture of Jefferson Davis. I remain interested in Lincoln's life and administration, but not very interested in the people who arranged for his funeral. The number of nails used to build the grandstands for viewing of Lincoln's funeral might be interesting to trivia fans, but is but one example of unnecessary detail which only lengthened a somewhat dry description. It appeared to me that the historical information available regarding the capture of Jefferson Davis was too limited for a stand alone book, and Swanson tried to tie-in details of Lincoln's death in an failed attempt to fatten up the book and make it more interesting.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Crimes CD.