Leslie's Reviews > Carrie

Carrie by Stephen King

Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: ooh-fantastical, providence-public-library, re-read, read-in-2010
Read in December, 2010

This is the perfect airport book--enthralling but familiar and not terribly deep.

In at least 4 instances in Carrie, an authority figure slaps someone in hysterics and behold! The nut-in-question reconnects with sanity! Every time it happens, it is presented as logical, sane and humanitarian. This is something I've only ever seen in old movies (example: just yesterday I watched as John Wayne slapped an unhinged child in Red River), but I imagine in real life you have to be pretty bold to try this tactic. Maybe I should attempt it the next time a friend or stranger is coming unglued. The trouble will be finding a person who I have authority over. Perhaps I can shake my cat and urge her to get a hold of herself.

I double-dog dare you to find a time where King likens Carrie or Margaret White to something OTHER than the broad body of some automobile or (more frequently) a pathetic creature from the animal kingdom. It is unsubtle, but kind of fun!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ruth I thought the scene of Carrie during prom (pre pig blood horror) took a turn away from her bovine likeness. It's the exact contrast of the first scene from the book, because in the prom scene, readers get to realize Carrie would have been a normal girl if not for her unfortunate circumstances.

Carmen I noticed all the slapping too! Although remember - 1970s. Nowadays you'd get charged with assault!