Sally's Reviews > Thanks, Johnners: An Affectionate Tribute to a Broadcasting Legend

Thanks, Johnners by Jonathan Agnew

Jan 21, 2011

bookshelves: sport, england
Read from December 25, 2010 to January 21, 2011

What English cricket fan has NOT heard the Leg-over broadcast? "Aggers for goodness sake stop it," indeed. It's hard to believe that incident was in the early days of Agnew's Test Match Special career.

I may only be 34 but I've been listening to TMS for as long as I can recall. I remember listening to Johnners and Aggers, waking up in the early hours of the morning to listen when England were playing overseas, and playing my Walkman radio between classes. Even now, living in the USA, I tune in online whenever I can.

This is a wonderful read, bringing back plenty of memories. It's pure Agnew; you can hear his voice as you read it. Given its date of publication, I was surprised - and happy - to read of events that took place in 2010, even if the Pakistan scandal of the summer has no mention. The only downside of this book was that it had to end, which is probably why I tried to delay getting to that moment for as long as possible!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thanks, Johnners.

12/26/2010 page 106