Sue's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

3642045
Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: around-the-world-in-52, fiction, japan, read-in-2012
Read from May 20 to June 22, 2012, read count: 1

What a ride. This is my first Murakami and seemed to include just about everything. At times a modern story of a young marriage in transition, then a magical dream tale of strangers with very odd propositions, a missing cat named for a hated brother, modern politics, sadistic torture on the battlefront just prior to WWII and later in Siberia. And of course the well...the source of solitude that is also a gateway to other nameless places.

Toru Okada and his wife Kimoku nee Wataya are the initial key to the story. Toru remains central when Kimoku becomes an invisible key. So much happens involving some truly strange characters who flit in and out of the story and Toru's life.

Even at the end, so much is left unresolved but, this young couple, who married for love now do know each other much better, even though this knowledge has been a bridge between them. The future---Who knows? Maybe Murakami.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

05/26/2012 page 45
06/08/2012 page 256
42.0% "This is a captivating read. Difficult to explain why...it just flows from event to event, reality to reality. I was struck by the magnificence of the translation early on. It reads effortlessly in English but yet it is fully Japanese in character, behavior and sensitivity as far as I can see."
06/10/2012 page 338
56.0% "So much happening, but also so little in terms of physical action and movement. I've never read anything like this and noe expect I'll read much more of Murakami's work."
06/19/2012 page 415
68.0% "Well (in all senses of the word), more is happening, not all (much?) of which makes sense, but definitely interesting. And Noburu Wataya--the cat--is back and now has a new name. Where is Kumiko? Who knows! Maybe we will find out. But the ride itself is just so interesting."
06/23/2012 page 607
100.0% "Finis!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Roy I just bought this one earlier this week. I've been hearing so much about it! I already read a Japan book for the around-the-world challenge, but I may well deviate off a bit longer to read this one. Thanks for the review!

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I hope you enjoy it Sharon. It's definitely unlike anything I've read before but I found I enjoyed that difference, I ended up with 3 books I could have used for the challenge but decided to stay with my original choice, the Murakami. Now of course, I will need to read more of his books,

message 3: by Zee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zee So glad you enjoyed this one. It's quite long and I consider it one of his best. There is so much going on that it's impossible to review without giving too much away.

I recommend 'Hard Boiled Wonderland' as a follow up. It's gorgeous!

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I really did enjoy it, far more than I would ever have thought. This was a difficult review to write as I wanted to give a taste of it's craziness and wonder without saying too much.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been considering what of his to read next. I'm going to check it out and it will probably go right on my wishlist.

Teresa I agree with Zee, Sue. "Hard Boiled Wonderland" is my favorite of his.

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I've added it to my TBR and my Amazon wishlist Teresa. I really hadn't known of that book so I'm happy to be hearing of it now. Thanks.