David's Reviews > Prelude to Foundation

Dec 30, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction, speculative
Recommended for: No One
Read from December 26 to 31, 2010

This is my first experience with Asimov and I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Firstly, most science fiction writers simply cannot write. What I mean by this is that character, plot, style, incident and crisis are all subservient to science and ideology. This makes for an incredibly tedious read...and a predictable one. Secondly, I knew, suspected strongly, from the beginning who Demerzel/Hummin/Daneel were(I shan't say here) and this shattered most of the dramatic tension in the novel. On top of this there was the facile tripping across Trantor and the equally infantile characters they stumbled across and bested (with some very convenient and timely help). Perhaps other books in the series are better...I hope so because I want to read the Robot, Empire, and Foundations series because so much hay has been made of Asimov. Still, I cannot recommend this book to readers...not even the emotionally arrested sci-fi fans.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prelude to Foundation.