Lauren (Lauren Reads YA)'s Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

May 06, 2016

bookshelves: i-own, 2010
Recommended for: People who like reading about tough subjects
Read from January 31 to February 02, 2012 — I own a copy

Check out my book blog for more reviews!

First of all: If you just read that description and was put off by the whole brother and sister romance thing, please keep reading anyway. It truly is an amazing book, written in a way that makes you unsure of why incest is such a taboo subject. Of course, there’s the fact that you have a big chance of having disabled children, but I personally think that you should be allowed to love whoever you want to love, and be in a relationship with them as long as the other person wants it too.

Enough of my opinion on all that stuff, let’s talk about the book! Forbidden is told in alternating perspectives from Lochan and Maya. Sometimes it was hard to remember whose perspective I was reading, and I found myself flipping back to the first page of the chapter to remind myself. I like my characters to be written realistically and interesting, and all of the characters in this book were like that. I loved the little siblings—Kit, Tiffin, and Willa—and of course, the two main characters. Their mother was awful. Not badly written, but she was just… a terrible person.
I liked the way Lochan thought about Maya. Not in a Oh I Love You Let’s Be Together Forever And Stuff-kind of way. He always knew that it was ‘wrong’ what they were doing and feeling. He was my favourite character, because he was the most developed one in the book. He has extreme social anxiety: he can’t talk to anyone except for the people in his family, and he has severe flaws, which makes him more realistic and likeable.
I didn’t like Maya as much. She was kind of the ‘typical’ teen girl, and she doesn’t feel conflicted about falling in love with her brother very much, not enough at least.
The writing was beautiful, very detailed and poetic. At first it kind of annoyed me because it was a little overdetailed, but after a while I got used to it.

There was maybe one thing I disliked about this book: the cheesy lines. Maya keeps calling Lochan ‘my love’, which is just… Just, no. And “Together, we’re strong”. Who actually says that?! Okay, moving on.

Overall, Forbidden was dark, heartbreaking, and just… really good. The plot was super original.

One last thing. There are a lot of things going on in this book. It deals with child abuse and incest, and there is a sex scene in it that’s pretty graphic. If you’re not mature enough to deal with the sexy times, don’t read it.

Blog post: http://laurenreadsya.tumblr.com/post/...
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.

01/31 page 53
01/31 page 53
16.0% "I know I shouldn't be reading this yet, but I just couldn't wait one more day okay."
02/01 page 175