Colleen's Reviews > Helping Me Help Myself: One Skeptic, Ten Self-Help Gurus, and a Year on the Brink of the Comfort Zone

Helping Me Help Myself by Beth Lisick

Jan 26, 08

Read in January, 2008

Have you ever walked by the self help section of the bookstore and wondered, "would my life be better if I read some of this stuff instead of just scoffing at it? Are all those people really being helped by the secret?" The author of this book did with varying degrees of success. I particularly enjoyed the chapter about cruising the high seas with Richard Simmons. (I had just seen him on the Today show and I think that he sprayed his head with black stuff to make his hair seem fuller. Beside the point I know, but it was fascinating. That's what HDTV is made for.) I also loved the chapter about John Grey because what she discovers is exactly what I've always thought about him. The best part is that everyone keeps asking her if she's heard of the secret, and she doesn't want to spend $4.99 for it. We sell it for $29.99 and can't keep it in stock. Her story is interesting because she doesn't really buy into any of the ideas that she's trying, but she does them anyway. And, you don't have to read any of the books. She does it for you. A quick read that I really enjoyed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helping Me Help Myself.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maya Oh, I heard part of a radio interview with her a while back--it sounded interesting, I had forgetten about it.