Lucy's Reviews > Interview with the Vampire

Dec 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, usa
Read from December 26, 2010 to January 06, 2011

Tagged as the "second most influential vampire novel of all time" IWTV certainly retains its place as a cult classic.

I've only ever read 1 other vampire novel (Dracula) and for me IWTV paled (no pun intended) into insignificance in comparison. It was less spine-chilling, less gripping and less entertaining. However, that said, I imagine if I'd read Twilight I'd be saying the same about a comparison between that and IWTV because it was a good book.

I found myself confused and concerned for Louis and at times the book felt less like a vampire tale and more of a traditional life-analysing story (thankfully without any werewolf/vampire dilemmas). The writing was sufficiently eery, interestingly complex, a little archaic but certainly easy to read. The characters were well developed, intriguing and it was easy to feel compassion for them. The settings were also wonderfully described.

It was a fine book but do I think it deserves its cult status? No, not really but we've got Brad Pitt & Tom Cruise to thank for that more than any wonder from the book itself I think.

If you are going to read 1 vampire book in your life time, make sure its Dracula. If you are going to read 2, then you can do a lot worse than choosing IWTV.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interview with the Vampire.