Fred D's Reviews > Imperial Conquest

Imperial Conquest by Doris Provencher Faucher

Jan 08, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from December 26, 2010 to January 07, 2011

I plowed through this book in about 2 weeks, relatively fast for me, and much faster than the previous books in the series. Unlike the previous books in this series, I was already largely familiar with the events that the book covered, which include the French & Indian War, and the American Revolution. I basically knew what was going to happen. I learned a lot of interesting details about the war though that I didn't know before. It was a bit painful to read, as I read about how the conquest of New France by the English affected my ancestors up in Quebec. Kinda like watching a car wreck in slow-motion.

New France was really in a hopeless situation. There was really no way to really win. They were outnumbered 20 to 1, and with the powerful British navy blockading the Gulf of St Lawrence, they couldn't get in any provisions or reinforcements from France. They were doomed. Apparently some of my Provencher ancestors served in the militias in various battles most notably the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in 1759. It was a relief to hear that the Trois Rivieres region, where most of my family was located, were apparently spared the ravages and destruction of war. They also seemed to adapt well to British rule. Good to hear.

However, this book really focused on the events of the war, and actually really didn't focus on my family so much, which was a notable difference from the previous books. She occasionally interrupted the narrative of the war to interject a short comment about what my family was doing, but the vast majority of the book was about the events of the war. I kinda wished the book had more information about what my family was doing during the war. Not enough details.

Still a fascinating book though, I couldn't put it down. It has sparked in me a keen interest in this war. Now I'll have to go and read some more books about it. :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperial Conquest.

12/26/2010 page 11