Blaire's Reviews > Freedom

Dec 26, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2010

This book had some strengths, but on the whole I thought its negativity outweighed them. The book's greatest strength is in depicting the ills of our society, and I have to admit Mr. Franzen nails it. The book's focus is sort of split. On one hand, it's a study of a contemporary family that is subject to many of the syndromes that plague us. On the other hand, it's a rant about the effects of our society on the environment. I'm with him about the environment, although I don't want to have to read close to 600 pages on the subject. My problem with the book is mostly that I disliked all of the main characters. I think Mr. Franzen's points about the environment would have been more effectively made if his characters had been more sympathetic and had possessed a richer inner life. As it was, I felt that they were simply vehicles in service of the politics of the book. The impression that I will carry away is that the book is a 600 page diatribe by an angry man. Great fiction, for me, is more balanced and has greater dramatic tension.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom.