Bry's Reviews > City of Ghosts

City of Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Jan 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011, urban-fantasy, series
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 05, 2011

This is definitely the best installment in the downside series. By now I completely understood the world, the characters, and even the magic which got pretty confusing and intricate at times.

This book is huge in scope. It had a lot of consequences from both the first and second books to address and solve. There was the Chess, Terrible, and Lex's relationships. Chess's standing with the church considering her actions at the end of book 2. The Lameru from the first book and their revenge against both Chess and the church. All of these elements had to come together to make a comprehensive and compelling story - and Stacia Kane totally pulled it off.

Chess in the book improved so much. She was so much stronger, much less whiny, and much more understanding of those around her, her actions, and their consequences. She seemed to really learn throughout this book and it made her into a much better character. Lex was tempered a bit in this book and overall was a much more awesome secondary character. I had a lot more faith in him this time around. Terrible stayed true to form throughout the whole book and never wavered. He was always tortured, unsure, insecure, strong, mean, and just awesome. True some of their interactions were seriously stressing me but only because it wasn't what I wanted to happen.

I am totally glad I read this series, and am super excited that Stacia Kane will be writing another 3 books in the Downside series as I am definitely going to read them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ghosts.

01/01/2011 page 40
10.0% "I just want Terrible to be in a scene. Is that too much to ask?! Argh!!"
01/06/2011 page 408
100.0% "Finished! Awesome! Review to come when I am not so sick."