Thomas's Reviews > The Replacement

Jan 22, 11

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy
Read from January 16 to 22, 2011

Somewhere between a two and three on this one... I'll go with 2.5.

There seems to be a reasonable amount of hype for this book. Honestly, the only reason I picked it up was because one of my favorite authors, Maggie Stiefvater, heartily endorsed it with an extolling review. Did it live up to what I had predetermined it to be? No, not quite.

This is the epitome of a paranormal story gone wrong. Take an interesting concept like faeries that do not belong in the human world but inhabit it anyway, but fail to fill it in with charismatic characters or a scintillating setting. The dearth of amiable characters was what really detracted from the overall appeal of this book.

Another thing that bothered me was how the town accepted what was going on underground so readily. Sure, the author supplied the idea that they ignored it because it made the town pretty, and so on and so forth. But the atmosphere of the city, although discussed in the book, felt so vague I could not even begin to estimate what was truly going on.

If you are into the paranormal genre or are searching for a book with creepy monsters of the night, I would recommend The Replacement. Otherwise, skip this one.

Want to read more of my reviews? Follow me here.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

message 1: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina I want to read this!

Thomas I did too, at first. :(

message 3: by Angelc (new)

Angelc I've seen this one around a lot and I've been iffy on it. I didn't know you had a blog, i'm going to check it out!

Tea Time Wolf I completely agree with you on this review..

Thomas Yeah... I'm sorry you didn't like it much either.