Mollie's Reviews > The Gift of Rain

The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng

Jan 07, 11

Read in January, 2011

I don't know if I've ever read a book with as much flowery language as this one. It was painful. Pretty much any page had something like the following "I realised that this would mean the end of what Endo-san and I had shared, for with the abandonment of the principles that had governed his life I was betraying him and everything that he had tried to teach me." Seriously? Just tell the stupid story. If you have to try that hard to convince your reader of the deep emotions the characters are experiencing, it's a fail. Show, don't tell. The motivations of the protagonist were never very clear to me - he just seemed to make poor choice after poor choice and yet got forgiven for it all. The present day scenes were perhaps even more painful, as nothing really happened at all, it was just ALL reminiscing in the floweriest possible manner.

Highlights? The food descriptions in Penang! All that yummy stuff - then I didn't mind the flowery language so much - it really is that good. And the historical stuff was interesting.

I can't believe this was nominated for the Booker!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gift of Rain.