Lu 's Reviews > Mendoza in Hollywood

Mendoza in Hollywood by Kage Baker

Dec 26, 10

I don’t want to give away too much of the plot, because it concerns major spoilers for book 1, but from the beginning of the novel we know that Mendoza is undergoing investigation for something that happened while she was in the field in Hollywood in the 19th century, long before the movie stars took over. Baker always artfully combines real history with her own creations and it’s seamless. The same is true of Mendoza in Hollywood, Baker uses recorded history but fills in the blank with the exploits of her characters and it’s perfect.

Like all the Company novels, I’ve found, there are some slow moments in the book. It’s not all action and even though this isn’t always a bad thing, I didn’t think it did Mendoza in Hollywood much favors. I’m really looking forward to the next installment and if Mendoza in Hollywood is the most disappointing book of the entire series, then there won’t be very much to complain about at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mendoza in Hollywood.