Sean Carman's Reviews > Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It

Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It by Geoff Dyer

2017763
Dec 27, 2010

Geoff Dyer races toward oblivion in this collection of travel essays, on a worldwide search for tranquility. He only sometimes finds it, and then only when he isn't looking. You would think, for example, that walking through Paris with a beautiful woman would translate easily into an idyllic experience, but you would be wrong. There are beautiful passages in the later stories about the transcendence to be found observing ancient Roman ruins and the beauty of the world seen through the right pair of sunglasses. Here's another example: Dyer finds his moment of inner peace not at the Kuang Si waterfall in Laos, but at a resort hotel in Ubud playing a game of catch meant to relive his experience at Kuang Si. He and a friend are standing on opposite overflow edges of the luxury pool. "Behind him was the gorge, the infinite edge," Dyer writes. "The ball was a yellow planet spinning back and forth through the blue sky. We were in a trance of throwing and catching. It could not go on forever but we never knew when the game was going to end, and so, at any one moment, it lasted forever."

Dyer is very funny, and his light "put-it-down-as-it-comes-to-you" style makes this a fun and fast read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It.

message 1: by Marco (new)

Marco Kaye You've got to read "Out of Sheer Rage." It's the best book about struggling to write a book. "Jeff in Venice" is good too. I'm a Dyer fan.

Sean Carman I will read it! I liked "Jeff in Venice." I'm a fan, too. I like his stuff.