Rachel's Reviews > The Lipstick Laws

The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: net-galley, 2011-debut-author-challenge
Read on January 16, 2011

April Bowers is a social non-entity at Penford High School. At least if she was an outcast it would mean she was noticed. She moved to town a year ago and no one, aside from Delvin “King Stalker” McGerk, knows she exists.

That is until Britney Taylor, ruler of the sophomore class, gets paired up with her in gym and decides to make April her next pet project.

Being friends with Britney requires sacrifice, devotion and an oath that is nearly impossible to follow. And when April breaks one of Britney’s rules of friendship – one of her Lipstick Laws – April wishes she could go back to being invisible.

But when things get to be too much, April decides to fight fire with fire. In this battle of wills, who will come out victorious?

***

The Lipstick Laws is Author Amy Holder’s debut novel. It is a very quick, super fun and immensely entertaining read. While the characters each fit into the typical roles necessary for this type of story – mean girl and her devoted followers and nice but socially awkward girl – the author has made April charming, witty, sarcastic, awkward and insecure, but not without a spine.

The story plays out as might be expected with acceptance into the group, banishment from the group, payback, counter attack and final confrontation. But with a number of creative aspects to this story such as the Lipstick Laws and Ms. Holder’s hysterically funny nicknames – Matt “Hottie Body” Brentwood, Delvin “King Stalker’ McGerk and the best yet, the “boobicle cubicle chestoid enhancers,” this story really is one-of-a-kind.

Ms. Holder is definitely a fresh new voice in the young adult market. The Lipstick Laws will have readers smiling, laughing and even cringing as they follow April and her tissue-stuffed bra through the battlefield that is her sophomore year.

On a personal note:

I could not stop laughing through this entire book. I found it outrageously funny. (Not in a bad way.) I think Amy Holder has an amazing sense of humor and passed that on to her character, April.

I loved April’s somewhat ditzy inner monologue at the beginning of the book, but was glad that after the initial few pages she had more going for her.

I thought the story was very relatable. While I (thank goodness) did not have to go through the same high school experience, I could still completely sympathize with poor April just trying to fit in, worrying that her most secret of secrets might be revealed.

I have not read any of the other “mean girl” stories that are currently trending today, although I know there are a bunch of them out there. So I can’t compare this one in terms of specific similarities, but for me this was definitely an original. And I wouldn’t mind seeing April and her “Kleenex cleavage” return in another book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lipstick Laws.