Manda's Reviews > Isabella: She-Wolf of France, Queen of England

Isabella by Alison Weir

Dec 26, 10

Read in December, 2010

Queen Isabella, wife of King Edward II of England has gone down in popular historical perspective as a power hungry adulteress and possible facilitator of his (suspected) murder.

Alison Weir presents a well argued, brilliantly researched and evidenced case that she has been treated unfairly. The only full length biography of Isabella I could find, this book has certainly changed the way I thought of her after reading other books that include her life.

Some may find the detailed research unneccessary however I felt the evidence compelling and necessary to the matter in hand. Ms Weir refers to other contemporary authors who have written on the subject and convincingly argues much against their accounts and presents supporting sources.

I finished believing this is the book about Isabella that definately should be read above others.

The church she was buried in was destroyed in the reformation and area destroyed in subsequent wars. Her body today lies annonymously somewhere beneath a busy London street and park. Queen Isabella was unlike any before her and actually set long standing precidents for the way English democracy and Monarchy rule was carried out in future times. A shame her grave is unmarked and lost forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isabella.