W Habecker's Reviews > Hero-Type

Hero-Type by Barry Lyga

U_50x66
Dec 25, 10

Okay, so it's 10:51 Christmas night, I just finished reading a totally different book, and I actually finished this one a few weeks ago - but still I feel it warrants a review.

Oh, and this is my first real review since my brother basically forced me into the other reviews that I have posted on here.

Enough with the jibber jabber and on with the review... jabber...

This book by far is one of the better ones I've picked up in a while. I tend to only read things that are entertaining and not books that actually educate me - I avoided education like the plague when I was in school, I'm not going to willingly partake in it now that I've somehow miraculously graduated - but this one managed to sneak up and teach me some stuff. Now I need a shower to wash off all the knowledge.

I guess this is where I should warn you about possible spoilers. I don't know if I'll actually reveal anything, but just in case - here's your warning.

The book starts off with the typical idea of a storyline of the "unlikely hero" mold, but slightly different because it picks up after the inciting incident and follows the hero's rise to glory. We spend a good portion of the book finding out what exactly occurred to bring fame and glory to said hero, and why he doesn't feel he deserves it and him wrestling with his feelings of guilt and yadda yadda yadda.

Then, a few short pages in, he commits a seemingly innocuous (I think that's the word I'm looking for - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or ream me out or whatever) act that gets blown bigger than life and he's made out to be a villain, and we spend a great deal of the book reading about him defending himself.

So while I signed up to read a book about an unlikely hero (a standard feel-good kick-back-and-relax book), I'm suddenly caught up in a storyline about a kid coming to terms with his own demons, coming into his own as a man, standing up for what he believes in, fighting mob mentality, and all the while learning a lot about the documents that founded America.

Seriously - this was some real head scratching material here.

Honestly it's very well written and has a lot of legitimate information about the bill of rights and the constitution all wrapped up in a narration that kept me entertained and flipping pages.

My brother is the history buff - I never really liked the subject. I never would have thought you'd get me to willingly pick up a book that could teach me social sciences and read it. I would have laughed if you would have told me that I would like it.

But I did like it. I liked it quite a bit. And that - I think - is quite an accomplishment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hero-Type.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Philip I avoided education like the plague when I was in school

BullShloney. You may not have had cause to study, but you didn't avoid education. And I don't think you recommended this to me... did you? I am hereby recommending it to myself, and bumping it up to my top 20 of next books to read.

Take that college boy. Take that.

message 2: by W (new) - rated it 4 stars

W Habecker Oh, I went to school. Elementary, junior and senior high, and even college... but you - a teacher - should know that school and education are two different things.

Ah, screw it - I'm just trying to be a smart aleck. How the crap do you spell aleck? No k? Anyhow - I was just trying to be witty in the review.

And I didn't know how to recommend it to you. But I do.

So take that, teacher boy. Yeah - I went there.

Philip Witty indeed. It worked. Nice review.

There's a "recommend" button on the book's page. I put it on my list anyway.