Bitsy's Reviews > The Science of Fairy Tales: an Enquiry Into Fairy Mythology

The Science of Fairy Tales by Edwin Sidney Hartland
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Science of Fairy Tales.

12/31/2010 page 29
9.0% "Am surprised by the tossing around of the word "savage" the discussion of "pure blood lines" in relation to myths and this talk of those European races that have reached "a higher plane". The chapters I originally read in the middle of this book last week gave no hint of this fuckwittery. I understand it was written in 1891, but I hope they edited some of this out or something in the republished version in 1998."
01/03/2011 page 55
17.0% "If you are lucky enough to recognize a fairy when those around you do not, don't call them out. They will beat you, rob you, and leave you cursed for your trouble."
01/04/2011 page 82
25.0% "The author seems to have gone really far out of his way to give the tale of Lady Godiva a history that is NOT Islamic in origin, even though they have tales similar to it that predate it. The "heathen pagan goddess" that he attributes as this legend's source he... kinda never gets around to actually providing the story of it. Hm."
show 3 hidden updates…