Amanda's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: ya, 2011debute
Read from January 17 to 19, 2011

Across the Universe is told in alternating POVs between Amy and Elder. The book opens with Amy being frozen, and it's graphic. I know someone who had a hard time reading it, so there's your warning. But trust me, you want to push through it. This is YA people, it's real and it's gritty, and it's totally made of win.

I really don't know where to begin with this book. Everything about Beth Revis' debut is absolutely magnificent, from the reversible jacket (Oh, no! Which one will be on the paperback?!) to the incredibly realistic characters. Amy has so much on her plate in this book that I really just want to give her a hug and tell her it will be okay, but she's trapped on a ship where she stands out in every possible way and is hundreds of years away from everyone she knows. Let's be honest, a hug doesn't exactly cover that.

And Elder. Oh, Elder. Across the Universe brings to life a new type of people that belongs to no race and every race at the same time; if that isn't cause for some mixed up feelings, being denied the truth of who your parents are certainly is, especially when you throw Amy into the mix. Elder may be from a future time and a ship that readers know little about, but he's still easy to relate to and even easier to like.

Have I mentioned Godspeed yet? Because it's so awesome I display the blueprint cover proudly. Or the plot twists of epic proportions? If you thought Incarceron blew your mind, you need to read this book. Right now. Revis taunts you with the truth, leading you astray with one thing only to slap you in the face with four more later on. Her ability to craft a heart-wrenching mystery truly is spectacular.

Revis' Across the Universe is going to do some absolutely amazing things for YA science fiction, and I can't wait to see it. I drooled over this book for months, and it didn't disappoint. At all. You can bet I'll read anything she writes, regardless of genre and age group, and that I'll be hosting a giveaway shortly. Because, trust me, you want this book.