Linda's Reviews > Ape House

Ape House by Sara Gruen

Oct 27, 11

Read from December 25 to 27, 2010

Sara Gruen is a wonderful writer and I truly enjoyed "Ape House". I previously read "Water for Elephants" and was eager to read her newest book. I loved "Water for Elephants" as it was a very well done and I learned a great deal from the book. I thought that I might be somewhat disappointed in "Ape House" because I found "Water for Elephants" so captivating. Ape House did not disappoint me, but "Water for Elephants" continues to be my favorite of Gruen's books.

I continue to be appalled and disappointed that humans can be so cruel and so greedy as some of the characters developed in this book. Unfortunately those type of individuals do exist. This book engaged me from the beginning. There are vivid descriptions of the apes, their language capacity, their family structure and their ability to understand and communicate with humans as well as with each other. The book has many well developed characters including writers, reporters, scientists and unethical film makers. Some you really feel a connection with, some you don't, and a few you really dislike.

As the story develops I learned many things about apes and their family interactions. In this story they were portrayed as much more caring and compassionate than their human counterparts and the incidents that Sara describes, both funny and sad, left me wanting to read more. Many of the glimpses of the ape's daily life were amusing and heartwarming, and I will never think of an M&M or a cheeseburger the same way after reading this book. As any of the books written about human exploitation of animals, there are difficult parts to read but it was well worth the time and emotional struggle. I recommend this book as a very fine read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ape House.

12/26/2010 page 195

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Great review -- I may have to read the book. But I'll read the cruelty parts with my eyes shut. :-D

Ruth A really good review of this book. I had questioned whether to read it and now I definitely would like to do that. I loved Water for...and sounds like this would also be a winner.

Linda I hope you enjoy it. I did.

Ruth I later read Ape House and I completely agree with your review. I really enjoyed this book, much so because of the proven humanity of the animals whose lives we were exposed to and allowed to experience through the author's eyes. Good review! Thank you for voicing many of my sentiments!