Elizabeth Hunter's Reviews > The Windup Girl

Dec 25, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: uw, sf
Read in December, 2010

It took a long time for the many different threads to coalesce into a story and while the characters were interesting, this is much more successful as an exercise in world-building than as a gripping plot. As a lover of post-apocalyptic fiction, I enjoyed exploring the scenario Bacigalupi established, but never really came to care what happened to any of the figures within it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Windup Girl.

Joni I read this book a while ago and gave it 3 stars due to the depressing/distressing nature of the book. I was really annoyed with the ending. I guess I did care what happened to the Windup Girl and I was mad at Bacigalupi for what he did to her in the end.

Elizabeth Hunter Interesting. I found her ending the most hopeful of anyone in the book--she's alive, with hope for overcoming the limitations placed on her by her creators.

Emily I'm about 80 pages in and am suspecting that no one is going to really grab me. Had the same issue with The Dervish House, though I did finish it. I am feeling like, in both, my objection is "one of the important characters is an arrogant rich white dude who's getting away with it".