P.M.'s Reviews > Obernewtyn

Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody

Dec 25, 10

Read in December, 2010

The holocaust of the Great White has devastated the land of the Beforetimes. A fanatical group of survivors and their descendants have created Councils and Herder priests to root out and burn any mutants at birth. Now they have found out that mutancies sometimes appear later and label these people as Misfits. Elspeth Gordie is an orphan who saw her parents executed as Seditioners. Now she and her older brother Jes live in an orphan home where Elspeth fears discovery of her mental abilities. Maruman, a cat with fey abilities, prophesies that someone will come and take Elspeth to the mountains where she will confront evil. This comes to pass when Madam Vega claims her for Obernewtyn, a stronghold in the mountains where Misfits are treated. Elspeth soon finds herself immersed in a mystery. Who is the hateful Ariel? What is the source of Alexei's power? Why does Rushton seem to dislike her? Who helped her break away from the machine that seized her mind? What has happened to Selmar and Cameo that is making them waste away? I enjoyed this book as another post-apocalyptic novel. Elspeth was a strong character who realized her importance in preventing forbidden knowledge from resurfacing in the world. I enjoyed her bond with the cat Maruman and the dog Sharna. The only thing I didn't like is that this is one book in a long series. Now I've got to try to find the other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obernewtyn.