Laurie's Reviews > The Frog and Toad Collection Box Set (I Can Read Book 2) Frog and Toad All Year / Frog and Toad Are Friends / Frog and Toad Together

The Frog and Toad Collection Box Set (I Can Read Book 2) Frog... by Arnold Lobel

4692020
Dec 25, 2010

bookshelves: boy-s-reading

On the advice of a teacher we bought this set for our son when he was learning to read (but resisting reading). It's difficult to get boys to read, especially when they are starting out and therefore not very confident, but we found these books a treat. They push all the right buttons: the stories are self-contained and of a reasonable length; there is a simple but not patronizing vocabulary; there is repetition but it is not intrusive nor is it really obvious; and the two friends (Frog, who is calm but occasionally melancholy, and Toad, who is excitable and given to hyperbole) provide gentle and friendly fun for kids. We began by reading these aloud, having our son read the first line, then progressed to "every other sentence" and finally to having him read them to us. Then he began taking them off the shelf and reading them on his own. At 10 now, he is reluctantly giving these up to a younger cousin, but he still enjoys them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frog and Toad Collection Box Set (I Can Read Book 2) Frog and Toad All Year / Frog and Toad Are Friends / Frog and Toad Together.