Devan's Reviews > A Plain Account of Christian Perfection (Foundations of Faith)

A Plain Account of Christian Perfection (Foundations of Faith) by John Wesley

M_50x66
Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: theology
Read in December, 2010

Wanted to read this because I'm joining a Church of the Nazarene, a Wesleyan-Holiness denomination, in a few months. Wesley's account of Christian Perfection - a distinct Wesleyan doctrine which is defined by Wesley as:

"The loving [of] God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. This implies, that no wrong temper, none contrary to love, remains in the soul; and that all the thoughts, words, and actions are governed by pure love."

I found myself in general agreeing with Wesley. He is often misunderstood as saying that Christians are without sin because they can "reform" themselves, without grace, and be spiritual superheroes. Wesley believed that God would work in us through the Spirit to "cleanse us of all unrighteousness" (a biblical phrase much quoted here). God grows us up in the image of his Son through the Spirit to set all our desires upon Him.

I would have liked to see more biblical theology (i.e., exegesis of how this doctrine develops throughout scripture from the person of Adam to the person of Christ) but I suppose that work was/will be done elsewhere. There is exegesis of relevant passages in the latter half of the book.

A note on this edition: The editing of this volume was horrible. There were typos on many pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Plain Account of Christian Perfection (Foundations of Faith).