Richard's Reviews > Don't Vote, it Just Encourages the Bastards

Don't Vote, it Just Encourages the Bastards by P.J. O'Rourke

Dec 31, 10

bookshelves: politics
Read from December 25 to 31, 2010

As has been noted in other places, this rant of P.J. O'Rourke's is not as entertaining as Parliament of Whores, but I think it is indicative of a change in his reporting position: When he wrote Parliament of Whores, he was still working in Washington and had regular contact with politicians and policy wonks of all types - you'll never find a better (or more infuriating) look at federal bureaucracy than his chapter on the Department of Transportation. In Don't Vote, a lot of it is just P.J. ruminating on things that aggravate him. While his aggravation is amusing to read, it's not quite the entertaining/educating work of a journalist.

My only other gripe is that a number of pieces are reprints of various op-eds he produced for other sources. This has the effect of making the book slightly disjointed as we switch from topic to topic without a whole lot of rhyme or reason.

All that being said, P.J. O'Rourke is still an immensely talented writer with a talent for metaphor that makes seemingly complex concepts understandable. I say "seemingly" because what I think P.J. really does is strip away complex verbiage that he powers-what-is use to make simple concepts (zero-sum, the effects of government investment) seem too complex for the plebeians. Even at a distance, his nose for B.S. is still very keen and makes for entertaining reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Vote, it Just Encourages the Bastards.