Becky R.'s Reviews > Dating Mr. December

Dating Mr. December by Phillipa Ashley

Dec 26, 10

Read from December 25 to 26, 2010

Although titled Dating Mr. December, this romantic story isn't really set in December or centered on Christmas at all. In fact, as I was reading it, I hoped that readers wouldn't get caught up in the title and put off reading it until the holidays! This is definitely a tense, sexy read.

The initial lead in to Emma and Will (hunky Mr. December) meeting one another and becoming attracted was pretty short. Those kinds of "I like you baby" leads sometimes have me rolling my eyes a bit, since I'm ever the pessimist about those kinds of love interests. I'll be honest, I felt that way in this story as well, but thankfully the author created a palpable tension between these two characters that kept me flipping pages. In pretty short order, they were snubbing one another and hiding past hurts and pain. Will was said to be a real prig who had abandoned a fiance on their wedding day, while Emma had just found that her boyfriend was having an affair with her boss, causing her to move to Will's town and away from London. Obviously, there was more to the story, which we as readers want to see them resolve.

In the end, this romance was pretty good. I liked the tension and misunderstandings between the two characters, so it wasn't all about the "come hither" of a classic romance. Although it looks and sounds like a playful, fun read, it was much more serious and tense than it lets on. Really, this is a romance you could read any time, even though the set up and cover scream Christmas. Also, if you enjoy the added tension that inevitably pushes two people together (which I do), then this is a perfect romantic read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dating Mr. December.

12/25/2010 page 12
12/25/2010 page 45
16.0% 2 comments
12/25/2010 page 72
25.0% "Picking up speed a little..."
show 2 hidden updates…