Benni's Reviews > Moon Called

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Jan 01, 2011

liked it
Read in January, 2011

Mercedes “Mercy” Thompson is a mechanic who also happens to be a skinwalker, one who can magically transform into a coyote. Just don’t call her a werecoyote. She was raised by werewolves and lives next to an alpha, so she can sense that the new kid looking for work at her garage is clearly a freshly-turned werewolf. His unspoken plight tugs at her heart strings, and she grants him a job, aware that this may lead to trouble. It does.

Moon Called is the first in the Mercy Thompson series, and the sixth book, River Marked, will be released this year in Spring. It’s easy to see why this series is so popular. Mercy is an easily likeable heroine: tough, but normal, relatable. She’s intelligent, but makes mistakes.

Moon Called starts off fast and strong, and shines at its best when set inside Mercy’s garage and trailer park. It seems as though the more mundane the setting, the more magical the story, and the characters pop against the realistic backdrop. Unfortunately, the reverse is also true: the more magical the setting, the more mundane the story. Once we get into heavy werewolf/vampire territory, things become a little more derivative. We get an excursion into werewolf politics, which would have been more compelling had I liked the werewolves more. I was not a huge fan of the testosterone-driven packs, and the necessity of treading lightly around them made for a smart but unexciting Mercy. Still, she builds up so much goodwill earlier that all is forgiven.

While romance is not the focus, the potential love interests and triangles promise to be complicated, layered, and non-idealized. That’s refreshing, just like Mercy. I, for one, will be hanging around for more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.

12/29/2010 page 95