Elke Ursin's Reviews > You Remind Me of Me

You Remind Me of Me by Dan Chaon

Dec 24, 2010

bookshelves: 2011-books-read
Read from October 16 to November 09, 2011

Amazing. This story just sucked me right in from the beginning. I could relate with the characters, I could love them, I could hate them, I was nervous and frightened and fearless with them. The way this story was told was perfection for me. An intricate web. A book that speaks to me. Oh, how I enjoy the high I'm on when I finish a good book. The warmth that an amazing quote can bring. Like a little massage for my stressed out brain. Once again, I say amazing. Read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Remind Me of Me.

Quotes Elke Liked

Dan Chaon
“How can you come to understand your life when even the beginning is so complicated: a single cell imprinted with the color of your eyes and the shape of your face the pattern on your palm and the moods that will shadow you through your life. How can you be alive when every choice you make breaks the world into a thousand filaments each careless step branching into long tributaries of alternate lives shuddering outward and outward like sheet lightning.”

Dan Chaon
“The baby's large eyes settled on him, and though this has been one of his happiest nights in his whole life, it made him melancholy. He had read somewhere that babies are instinctively drawn to faces, that they will fixate even on drawings or abstract, facelike shapes, and round objects with markings that might resemble eye-mouth-nose. It was information that struck him as terribly sad, terribly lonely - to imagine the infants of the world scoping the blurry atmosphere above them for faces the way primitive people scrutinized the stars for patterns, the way castaways stare at the moon, the blinking of a satellite. It made him sad to think of the baby gathering information - a mind, a soul, slowly solidifying around these impressions, coming to understand cause and effect, coming out of a blank or fog into reality. Into a reality. The true terror, Jonah thought, the true mystery of life was not that we are all going to die, but that we were all born, that we were all once little babies like this, unknowing and slowly reeling in the world, gathering it loop by loop like a ball of string. The true terror was that we once didn't exist and then, through no fault of our own, we had to.”

Dan Chaon
“It's hard to believe that this is how it's done. That this is how we get here into the world, by accident or design, the microscopic pieces of ourselves borne by fluids and blood and growing into a tiny kingdom of cells inside someone else's body It seems so difficult to become alive. So improbable.”