Danna's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

May 28, 12

Read from January 07 to May 26, 2012

It's been a while since I've read new-to-me Stephen King. I've always enjoyed his short stories and novellas, and this collection comes highly recommended by many folk. I've decided to review-as-I-go, so let's go!
Here There Be Spoilers

1922 Classic grisly horror and classic King with a heavy dose of reap-what-you-sow. It felt inspired by Poe: rats, haunts, dread, death, decay, tortured-by-guilt. (Apparently I'm into the hyphenated phrases this evening. Eh, I'll run with it.) Very authentic characters for their time and place, which I'm glad wasn't Maine or somewhere were folk say Ayuh a lot. (His Castle Rock stories aside, that distinctive colloquial tone he gives some of his characters can grow tedious after a time.) I would say it's not your Sunday School teacher's morality tale, but there are some Bible stories that kept me awake and frightened in the night when I was a wee sprout. Stoning, beheading, being mauled by bears, and other forms of scary painful death... maybe Kings rat's from 1922 would have fit right in there.

Big Driver An unsurprising and unremarkable story where rapists get their just desserts via vigilante justice. Despite being obvious and a bit heavy-handed, it's a message that bears repeating.

Fair Extension An odd twist on The Monkey's Paw where the wisher is rewarded in the end and reveals that he could give a damn about the suffering of the ones who received the weight of his former misfortune. Meh.

A Good Marriage My favorite of the four, with a very satisfying ending. Unlike Big Driver, I can believe that it all really could have happened this way in reality and that she would have gotten away with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.

01/12/2012 page 135
37.0% "She was still happy enough with the Willow Grove Knitting Society after twelve books, but didn't kid herself that she could go on writing them until she was in her seventies."