Brad's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye

Dec 27, 10

bookshelves: comic-books, graphic-novel, zombies
Recommended for: Bronte
Read from December 25 to 26, 2010, read count: 1

The best part of The Walking Dead is the art. It is some of the cleanest, most robust pencilling I've seen, and the decision to keep it in black and white is solid. Black and white paradoxically keeps the gore quotient down by removing the vivid colours of death and decay, but it allows for great detail in the gore and nastiness that's present.

The okay part of The Walking Dead is the story. It borrows from most of the important Zombie movies you know and love (anything from Romero and a big chunk from 28 Days Later), and it adds some yucky stuff of its own. Then it throws it all together as a less compelling parallel to Lost. It's as though the Zombiepocalypse survivors were on Oceanic Flight 815 and they just happened to crash outside Atlanta rather than on some crazy island. And then they add to the bizarre mix of pulp culture references by throwing in Short Round (beware Indiana Jones geeks! They are everywhere, and much more insidious than your Trekkies or Star Wars fanboys).

The worst part of the The Walking Dead is its pace. Slow, boring, and not very tense. The AMC show does a much better job building up the tension.

Still, there's a nice twist at the end, and a solid cliffhanger. I will go on. For now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 01.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amber Tucker Woah. I just bought this! Admittedly, I saw "Moore" on the spine and my mind leapt to Alan Moore, and then I read the back, flipped through, and decided to pick it up to add to my stack. Do you think it was worth the $12.50?

Brad Hmmm...I dunno. I collect my graphic novels, and I may even use it for an intro to lit class someday, so it was worth it for me to buy. I would say yes, but only because you seem to be gathering your own little collection, and it really isn't bad. In fact, if you haven't watched the show you may like it much better than me.

Amber Tucker In fact, if you haven't watched the show... which I haven't. It'll work out, then. Besides, I've never read/watched a full zombie story. I have to say I've read at least one, and as they go this one looks bearable.

Brad And it is good, so definitely go for it. And when you are through make sure you rent 28 Days Later.

Amber Tucker Thanks, O Zombie Fan. :P

Chip Stick with it. Keep reading. Really. I read far more than the first book all at once, so I don't remember what happens in that volume vs. later - but overall it (and I mean the story) is phenomenal. At times brutal, heartless and depressing (the Bloody Wedding doesn't have much on Kirkman), but phenomenal. In fact, when I picked up the latest, after a long time away from it, to catch up - I was taken aback to see that it was B&W. I'd found it so immersive that I'd forgotten that. It's up there with Preacher.

Brad I will. It is definitely worthy of carrying on. I probably won't get into the next issue until Janurary, but I will continue.

Chip Is that the month after Decemberer?

Brad Hardy har, har, har. I think that is also the month before Ferbuary ;)

Steve There's a big softbound Omnibus edition that collects most of the story into one volume.

message 11: by Brad (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brad That would be much more cost effective. I'll look for that.

message 13: by Brad (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brad Thanks, Steve. I just added it to my "to-read"