Caedy Eries's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

May 14, 15

bookshelves: 2012-challenge, kindle, library, sci-fi-fantasy-horror, series-read, 2015-challenge, favorites, dragons, first-in-a-series, i-own-it, re-reading
Read from May 11 to 14, 2015, read count: 3

Title: Game of Thrones
Author: George R.R. Martin
Rating: 5/5

Summary: Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective wall. To the south, the King's powers are failing, and his enemies are emerging from the shadows of the throne. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the frozen land they were born to. Now Lord Eddard Stark is reluctantly summoned to serve as the King's new Hand, an appointment that threatens to sunder not only his family but also the kingdom itself. A heroic fantasy of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and evildoers who come together in a time of grim omens.

Review: Why did I initially pick up this book? Truthfully, because it was being turned into a television show on HBO, which I’ve yet to see, but in my desire to see it, wanted to familiarize myself with the world that Martin created. Truth be told, I am glad I did. I am completely and totally sucked into this world that he has created, even with its gory aspects and the twisted politicking of the high ranking individuals in the book. Am I placing this book on the level that I would place Lord of the Rings, absolutely not, because they are two very different stories and thus should not be compared in the realm of epic fantasies.

A Game of Thrones, is essentially a boy’s soap opera. Dark, twisted, sinister and nasty; filled with violence and sex and even the slightest touches of magic and supernatural. The characters are big, brash and they engage in incest, hide their secrets, make dirty deals, and manage to completely screw up themselves, their families and their friends. It is your average soap opera with plate mail armor and bloody battles. All in all it is very, very good. If Days of Our Lives was like this, I would most definitely watch it more often.

Even with its overarching soapiness, I was impressed with this book and the way that it sucked me into the world that martin created. The stark brutality of it, the drive to vengeance, and the fact that no character - no matter how heroic – is safe from anything. The overwhelming pathos in every action and reaction, the textures and smells and sounds of our world transplated in Martin’s made me believe that all of it, even the two punch denouement of the final Catelyn and Daenerys chapters, was possible.

I have read the second and third books in this series, and their reviews will be coming soon.

If you have any questions, comments or recommendations you can contact me at
My reviews can be found here:
Confessions of a Bibliophile
Idle Musings and Random Things
Smashwords Review
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

5.0% "Just started this this afternoon, am liking it thus far. Have heard mixed reviews about the books, but have heard rave reviews of the television series on HBO (which I've not seen). Definitely interesting, we will see as I go along."
30.0% "I like so many of the characters in this book, however, there are some that I wish would become frozen into the wall and remain there for all eternity. However, I am not sure yet with which individual my loyalty lies. Loving this book thus far."
50.0% "The joys of royalty. The joys of royal intrigue, really. It isn't stressful at all. /sarcasm"
75.0% ""When you play the game of thrones you win or you die." - Queen Ceresi to Eddard Stark. Quote from some time ago in the book, that is one of my favorites, along with the vow spoken when John and Sam take the Black and become members of the Night Watch."
05/14 marked as: currently-reading