Brian's Reviews > A Natural History of the Senses

A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman

Feb 04, 11

Read from December 24, 2010 to February 04, 2011

hey! i finally finished this book! this was a pretty good book, something that i read in short bursts over a pretty long amount of time. i do take some issue with the title, i think it should be "my personal history of the senses."

this lady writes really beautifully most of the time about things that most people have a real hard time describing. so i liked that. i will definitely try to remember some of the word concoctions shes used and use them for myself when i am trying to show someone my sensitive side.

the worst part about this book was the section on vision. it was the last section of the natural senses and a bunch of the stuff she had to say were things she was repeating from the other senses. also, some of it really didnt make much sense, you know, why she was putting it in that section.

the best part was about touch. i especially liked reading about how it is therapeutic to pet cats, and the thing about touching babies was interesting too. you can grow a better kid if you pet it like a cat when its just a little bean.

one annoying thing about this book was that it was written in like 1988. so, the "science" she talks are things that 6 year olds know from reading google or wikipedia or something. basically, the earth shattering things she was talking about are really very basic today. in the postscript, i think, she talked about how computers are changing the way we use our senses, but will never replace them.

that remains to be seen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Natural History of the Senses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vaughnda Johnson agreed for the most part, but the best section was smell.