Tim's Reviews > JavaScript: The Good Parts

JavaScript by Douglas Crockford

Jan 22, 11

bookshelves: technical_docs
Read from December 24, 2010 to January 22, 2011

Such a good book. I'm a JavaScript newbie who has hacked many scripts over the years. Much of the frustration I've had with JavaScript is from browser-specific issues - when borrowing a script from a random webpage doesn't work as expected.

This book doesn't get into that detail because the book is about language features, and it gives me confidence in the language as being useful and powerful in spite of its implementations and in spite of the sloppy code I've used and written in the past.

As a bed-time read: it's great. When the author lists idioms, best practices, gotchas, etc, they are listed to point out their usefulness or dangerousness.

As a reference: it's not comprehensive but the best/worst practices are laid out clearly enough to be found easily and this book should be kept by your side when coding.

As a future read: there's enough here that if you come from a "classical" background, as Crockford calls it, you'll not immediately know how to use JavaScript's prototypal inheritance, closures, etc properly. I expect after I've experimented with JavaScript for a while I'll be reviewing these sections again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read JavaScript.