Karen's Reviews > Last Sacrifice

Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

Dec 24, 10

bookshelves: waste-of-time-and-money
Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I am sorry, but this book was bad. It was bad in so many ways that I hardly know how to articulate them. My biggest beef is with Rose. Don’t get me wrong, usually I like Rose. In fact she is the reason I read the books. However, in Last Sacrifice, something changed, she changed. She regressed in this book and it was like everything she’d learned in the last five books meant nothing. The way she treated her friends disgusted me, especially Adrian. She barely even felt ashamed of her behaviour. And she easily dismisses the sacrifices of her friends at the end of the novel. “My boyfriend says I don’t ruin lives, so it must be true!” Rose felt emotionally detached in this book and possessed none of her usually spark or compassion. Maybe it’s just me but she felt forced and fake-edgy, almost like Richelle Mead tried to think of the most outrageous things possible and then forced the situation, regardless of plot relevance.

The general plot is my second area of contention. So many things happened that were not relevant to the overall plot of the book. What was the point of going to the commune? Why was Victor so interested in Jill (I never really bought that half-baked, “I want to seize power” bit. He was a convict for crying out loud! I doubt Jill’s presence would have caused people to forget that). I don’t even understand why he helped Rose in the first place. Most of Rose’s adventures seemed like contrived romantic interludes designed to show much she and Dmitri were in love. Lissa takes on a much larger role in this book once she starts the trials to become queen. But even the whole political angle felt out of place and forced. What really happened? What really changed? Also, I was in no way convinced that Lissa would make a good queen. She is eighteen! But I think that’s just me being an unflinching realist.

My third issue is Sonya Karp. Her whole transformation was far too easy not to mention that no one ever acknowledges her past. She was so insane that she thought her only way out was to turn into a blood sucking monster. She was a desperate woman before she turned Strigoi. And once she’s turned back, she’s suddenly a calm, rational, sane person. I don’t understand. She didn’t even have a tinge of the insanity that Lissa and Adrian possess and she was using spirit like crazy. And don’t get me started on aura reading. If Sonya could see Rose and Dmitri’s aura, why couldn’t Adrian?

The end of the book felt rushed and ultimately fell flat. The murderer wasn’t really a surprise per-se mostly because the conclusions drawn were totally ridiculous and the culprit never gave any indication in previous books that they’d do something so radically unhinged. It didn’t make sense based on all the information we’d been previously given.

I n the end a lot of sacrifices were made, but none by Rose. The whole book felt like a Using People Guide to Getting What You Want.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Sacrifice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Coco (new) - rated it 1 star

Coco Agreed!! I might have to downgrade mine to 1 star. This whole book was one giant disappointment.

Ashley Ditto! It was like the whole book was just setting the stage for the spin-off series. There were too many things that were such a stretch and didn't really have any plot relativity. And seriously, could she have made Dimitri any more generic?? I had been waiting for this book for so long, and it was a BIG FAT DISAPPOINTMENT!

Karen I think I'm going to pretend that this series ended with book four. Book five and six were brutally disappointing.

message 4: by Alice (last edited Dec 26, 2010 05:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alice I concur. Especially about Sonya Karp. Talk about Deus Ex Machina!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with the whole "Guide to Using People To Get What You Want" title rename. But make sure you add in "Without Feeling Bad About it." This book was all kinds of failure.

message 6: by Hime (last edited Mar 21, 2011 08:49AM) (new) - added it

Hime You are right, of course :P You usually are ^-^.
I agree with all those tings. I didn't feel, personally, like Lissa would make a bad queen, but they didn't give enough evidence to support the opposite either. I think she wouldn't have been a memorable queen. I mean other then the fact that she could bend people to her will.

I think I was just too contented to see the series have a "happy" ending that I didn't really think about all of this. There goes my bad brain stuff again. Sooo foggy. LOL.

I think I might have over looked all of what you said because I was just so sucked into the world, that I didn't particularly care what she did with the characters. Which isn't good. I'm usually a lot more questioning about these things. But of course, like always my creative side took over, and I pretty much ignored what was happening in the story, and contented myself with what I was making up to go along with it.

I have to admit though, I did feel really badly for Adrian... and He was completely and totally right. I felt like that was left very unanswered. I wanted to know what happened to him. Usually he would just brush her off. But there was no "I understand, because you're you, and you do stupid things... like always" attitude Adrian almost has about everything Rose does. Which changed the character too much at the end. I liked him more, but it left me feeling like Rose, and essentially Richelle Mead, left me with very little respect for Rose. Which sucks, because she is such a strong character.