Shanae's Reviews > The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life

The Frugalista Files by Natalie McNeal

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: finance, learn-something, non-fiction, women-writers, favorites
Read from December 26 to 29, 2010

I found "The Frugalista Files" inspiring and an on-time publication. McNeal's story is not unique, but it is interesting and may provide readers with the push necessary to get on the right track and change their spending plans. I got a handful of great tips from McNeal, I didn't find the book as insightful a I expected, but McNeal is in the learning stages of personal finance & I am, too, so I felt that I was at the right place for learning.

This is a great, quick & informative read to pick up for the new year - many people (myself included) resolve to lower their spending in the new year & I think "The Frugalista Files" is a great jumpstarter that can put you in the right direction.

I look forward to other personal finance books from McNeal (hopefully one is in the works)...specifically a book that is more about investing or goes more into detail about entrepreneurial ventures - I feel like she brushed over these topics in this book.

Finally, I must admit this was more of a memoir and less of a personal finance book. It was supposed to be in the personal finance section at Borders, for example, but it was not there -- and for good reason. There just isn't enough material in this book to help anyone get out of debt. Spending less, and applying extra funds to debts is only one way to get out of the debt trap. This book really chronicles McNeal's experience getting out of debt, which just isn't enough to warrant that little "Personal Finance" byline on the back of the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frugalista Files.

12/26/2010 page 14
7.0% "So far so good. McNeal is funny & I identify with her spending issues. Woe is me. Lol"
12/27/2010 page 24
13.0% "I'm loving this. It's helping me so far :)"
12/27/2010 page 42
22.0% "I think I'm going to try the no-buy month in January...I wonder if I could make it."
12/28/2010 page 62
32.0% "This is such a quick & easy read. I really feel like I'm learning something & I'm glad I picked this up. Now I'm on a search to find similar personal finance books :)" 1 comment
12/28/2010 page 104
54.0% "I'm really doing well with this guide...I intend to be finished by the end of the week. That would be really good." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

LiteraryMarie Good luck if you decide to try the No-Buy Month.

Shanae I am going for it next month LM :)