Andreea's Reviews > Last Night at Chateau Marmont

Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger

Dec 24, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit, horrendous-reads

I remember liking The Devil Wears Prada when I read it a few years ago. So, finding myself in the airport and in need of a book for the plane I picked this one up, thinking it would be an OK chick flick. I usually don't have that high expectations from a chick flick, but this really disappointed me.
To begin with, the plot is not that bad. But it is also predictable and the path things are going is is not hard to foresee from the first chapters. There's Brooke, a nutritionist and her rockstar wannabe husband. When he eventually knows some fame, things start to get rusty between them. The same thing you could find written on the back of the book.
But there are some other things seriously wrong in here. The whole story is a bit dull and lack at least a little bit of juicy stuff. It could have been much better exploited. Then, the characters aren't that likeable either. Brooke is just...boring and accept all the stuff her husband does. He is also not very full of substance and seems to lack some free will or some brain power and just lets himself dragged by those around him. All in all, there is no one very likeable or interesting.
Nola seemed to have potential and I expected her to have a more significant role in the story, but she ..... just didn't.
There were also lots of exaggerated scenes (like the description of his gigs) and cliches (Hayley, but even she was solved without anything more juicy happening. It was much too simple and could have been exploited better to at least create some tension). The ending was not spectacular at all.

All in all, I wouldn't suggest wasting a couple of hours reading this book. It lacks ....some spice, some substance and does not make for a very entertaining read. Quite disappointing, since I expected better from Lauren Weisberger and I feel quite ripped off for paying for it.
8 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night at Chateau Marmont.

Jessica Anderson I did the exact same thing in the airport. I was so bored by the book that I kept checking my phone.

Jenn Felt the same way, especially about Nola. This was definitely a meh book, and I'm glad I didn't buy it!