Pamela's Reviews > Thriving During Challenging Times: The Energy, Food and Financial Independence Handbook

Thriving During Challenging Times by Cam Mather

Jan 10, 11

bookshelves: environmental, non_fiction, read_partial, notes, self-reliance
Read from December 23, 2010 to January 09, 2011

I had to give up on this book, it was due at the library and I ran out of renewals. Then again, I did have plenty of time, it just wasn't compelling enough.

The book is more or less self-published, since the author runs a publishing business, and it really could have used more editing. Not that it was really horrible, just some sentences could have been clearer and there was the occasional mistake. Overall the theme of the book is to prepare yourself to be self-sufficient, with food & energy. The author predicts we will be completely out of oil in the not too distant future, so prepare! But we aren’t currently there. The other side is as we get toward being completely out, then we’ll have increasing costs of energy, so you should be as independent as possible as soon as possible. The book is written with these various scenarios in mind as we go through the end of oil, yet the organization of the book isn’t consistent and provides for some confusion.

Despite the above mentioned complications some practical advice is given; especially if you don’t know anything about renewable energy or reducing your energy costs, such as switching to CFL’s. I suspect that many people already know these basics. I was hoping for something going beyond the obvious, but didn’t find it here, or at least not in the parts I did read. Given all of this above, I still did want to finish reading the book. Perhaps if I owned a copy, or had endless renewals at the library I could have gotten through it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thriving During Challenging Times.

12/30 page 117