PurplyCookie's Reviews > The Magician

The Magician by Michael Scott

Feb 25, 11

bookshelves: book-series, fantasy, historical-fiction, witchcraft, young-adult, mythic-fiction
Read from February 17 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

”The Alchemyst”, the first book in The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, introduced a wide-ranging group of historical figures who have achieved immortality and are engaged in a present-day struggle for the fate of the world. This second entry, ”The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)” picks up exactly where the first left off.

Allied with the legendary Nicholas Flamel on the “good” side are teenage twins Sophie and Josh, who are supremely gifted but with powers that are untrained. Countering them is a new arch-villain, Niccolò Machiavelli, who, along with other figures from history and legend (Joan of Arc, the Comte de Saint-Germain, a trio of Valkyries, Nidhogg, Mars Ulthor, the spider Elder Areop-Enap, Dagon, plus legendary artifacts like the swords Excalibur and Clarent), swells the already impressive cast.

Plundering every imaginable culture of their heroes and heroines is a clever feat, sure to draw all manner of historically and mythologically-minded readers. One weakness starts to show through, however. In a six-book series such as this, each installment begins to feel like a lengthy, glorified chapter rather than its own book complete with a satisfying story arc and resolution. That said; this keeps the pace at an exciting and impeccably thought-out fantasy, well suited for those left in the lurch by the still-very-much-felt exeunt of the Harry Potter series.

This strikes just the right balance of action, fear, intensity, and hope for what is to come. The imagery of Paris and the places that exist beneath the city are creepy which adds to this story. Not frightening, but compelling. More obscure gods and mythological creatures once again reveal the author's depth of knowledge of his craft in this genre.

More of Purplycookie’s Reviews @: http://www.goodreads.com/purplycookie

Book Details:

Title The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
Author Michael Scott
Reviewed By Purplycookie
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician.

02/19/2011 page 220
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Was the first one of this series good?

PurplyCookie Oh yes :)
I'm planning to read all of the books in the series. I like the fact that the author is a celebrated writer/figure of Irish fairy tales

message 3: by Rollie (new)

Rollie I've heard about that series lot. :) Hope to have it soon. :D

PurplyCookie Why don't you try the first book in the series. Check out my book review of it na din :)

message 5: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Yes. Supposedly, I'm going to buy that one before but since I've heard some negas about it, I failed trying to pick it. And now, It's rare for a bookstore to have a copy of the first book. Such a regretful decision. :(
Sure, I'll check it out right away! Thank You. :))

PurplyCookie I saw a copy of the 1st book in Fullybooked Eastwd a week or so ago

Kwesi 章英狮 Never have the urge to buy the series because it was so expensive.

PurplyCookie Yes, I guess so. But I got hooked :)