Kathy's Reviews > Shantaram

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Dec 29, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 23 to 29, 2010

If I could give this book 3.5 stars I would.
This book was good. I did enjoy it. There were so many great quotes in there and topics to think about it was very mentally stimulating. But it was a massive book. And for probably the first half of it I loved it. They way he descriped India and its hidden beauty underneath all the negatives was truly great. I now appreciate India so much more than I did.
However, towards the end it just got a bit too much. I know this is supposed to be a true story but it felt a bit like an action movie towards the end. I got over it a bit during the war section. It was dragging out a bit too much and it became unrealistic. I do see why some say they couldn't read it because of the writers ego, which is very large, but I think to survive what he has you do need more than average confidence.
If you have a lot of time on your hands and in the mood for some adventure than this is your book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shantaram.

Quotes Kathy Liked

Gregory David Roberts
“People say that love is the best thing in the world not power. But they are wrong. Love is the opposite of power and that's why we fear it so much.”

Gregory David Roberts
“Suffering is how we test our love especially our love for God.”

Gregory David Roberts
“The burden of happiness can only be relieved by the balm of suffering.”

12/25/2010 page 88