Shanshad Whelan's Reviews > The Hour of Dust and Ashes

The Hour of Dust and Ashes by Kelly Gay

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, urban-fantasy, series
Read in October, 2011

Technically 3.5 stars. I really enjoy the characters and world building in the Charlie Madigan series. This book was a nice, enjoyable read, but it suffered from some issues that did not crop up as much in the first two books. This particular title appears to be a bit of a "bridge" book. I'd never rec it to anyone who hadn't read the first two because there are way too many details and events that are dependent on previous story arcs. Likewise, it . . . doesn't really have a complete story arc as a novel. There are about three or four smaller arcs that can't hold the novel on its own, and several ongoing arcs that will continue in the next book.

It's not a bad book . . . but I felt dissatisfied at the end because the main plot point of this book happens relatively quickly and then we're sort of launched into the next with out a real feeling of conclusion. There were some really nice moments in here, but it seemed like too many irons in the fire at once. I'm guessing a few particulars needed to be wrapped up and things set in motion for the next book or two in the series and this was the result.

I enjoyed it, tore through it in about two days. I like Gay's writing style and definitely want to read more. But this book is my least fave of the three so far and I hope the next has a more cohesive arc.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hour of Dust and Ashes.