Robert Rubenstein's Reviews > The Movies Are: Carl Sandburg's Film Reviews and Essays, 1920-1928

The Movies Are by Carl Sandburg

Dec 23, 2010

Read on December 23, 2010

Carl Sandburg, and an amazing ensemble of gifted writers, were able to be nurtured in one Chicago newspaper. People may not know that Carl was a movie critic for this paper. He covered the melodramas of the likes of Rin Tin Tin. For my latest novel, these Chicago novels are so filled with the weight of intellectual promise yet such astounding distraction that the eye of history seems only to have been recorded in some fractured crystal. For the tellings here are amazing, not in the simplicity of Sandburg's day job, but in the dichotemy of his grand prose but, in my opinion, marred pretensions toward the common man. THat which was NOT recorded in those days is what seems to be left out in all eras...that which society does not want to see. i am thinking of Mary Pickford and her Sparrows--perhaps the theme of my own dreamscape taking its own time with a ghastly theme. Five stars..for the history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Movies Are.